Inspection and auction details
Auction location: On Site
Iconic Benson House Circa early 1840's
- 6 Beds
- 3 Baths
- 4 Cars
Benson House' is a majestic Georgian residence of distinguished pedigree & steeped in local history. Presenting a rare opportunity to purchase one of the finest examples of early Hawkesbury architecture & located within Richmond's exclusive dress circle on an impressive 2586sqm allotment (just under 2/3rds of an acre) with spectacular views over the lowlands & to the mountains beyond.
Rich in traditional details from the era with stunning marble fireplaces, soaring 12ft pressed metal ceilings, hand crafted Australian red cedar joinery, beautiful imported French crystal chandeliers & bespoke hand painted French inspired kitchen, the current owners have transformed this impressive home with an impeccable restoration, recreating a magnificent showpiece of elegance and grandeur.
The original residence known as Tycawina' was built for William Murry Benson, a shipwright, his wife Marion and their family in the early 1840's as a single story dwelling with barn, detached kitchen & other outbuildings. The home was subsequently extended with the addition of a second storey in the 1890s by Prosper Henry Ridge who was very active in local affairs & served as Mayor from 1892 - 1896.
The former servant's quarters & scullery adjoin the main residence by a convict brick paved courtyard, & provides a fully self-contained additional accommodation, ideal for the extended family or guests. A private garden showcasing a historic sculpture of Queen Victoria gifted to Prosper Ridge by Lord & Lady Jersey who were distinguished guests at Tycawina' during their visit on the occasion of the turning on of the new water supply in 1892. The property also features a subterranean cellar & the original well.
Discreetly positioned beyond beautiful French iron entrance gates with an impressive 37.8m property frontage, this exquisite Georgian residence overlooks sprawling level lawns & a vast selection of ornamental trees including magnolia, 150 year old crepe myrtle, jacaranda, 100 year old bay leaf tree & original mile pine'. This beautiful garden features a classic imported French gazebo adorned with a dazzling display of roses, beds of salvia, camellias, perennial bulbs & a magnificent French sandstone water feature & has provided a romantic setting for family weddings, fabulous garden parties & many memorable social gatherings over the decades.
"Benson House" is an outstanding spacious family home, iconic within the district, abounding in charm & timeless character, & steeped in glorious history. The property is moments from local schools, shopping centres, public transport, parklands & within easy reach of the Sydney CBD.
• Grand entry foyer & hallways with original wide timber floorboards & cedar joinery and doors
• Study with original wall stencils, marble fireplace, 19th century French crystal chandelier
• Family living room with souring pressed metal ceilings, marble fireplaces & elegant chandeliers
• Bespoke hand crafted kitchen with Smeg Victorian style 110cm dual fuel free-standing oven/stove
• Fully integrated dishwasher and refrigerator, water filter, range hood
• Exposed beams, deep porcelain sink, large pantry, Caesar-stone benchtops
• Family dining room with fireplace, downstairs bathroom combined laundry with built in cabinetry
• Main bathroom with Georgian cast iron bath, marble tiles & 18th century French oak vanity
• 4 huge upstairs bedrooms with marble fireplaces & master bedroom with French doors and balcony access
• Upstairs sun room or children's play room, downstairs TV room/sitting room or library
• Top level verandah with spectacular views of the lowlands, watch the sun set over the mountains
• Original staircase & balustrade crafted from Australian red cedar
• Crushed granite driveway, sandstone flagging
• Large bedroom with built in wardrobes
• New kitchen with S/S gas oven and pantry, combined laundry/bathroom
• Central living & dining room with slow combustion fireplace
• Private covered outdoor BBQ and entertaining area
• Workshop/storage shed, rain water tank, fully irrigated gardens
• Subterranean cellar, vegetable garden, old well and out-house
• Privately set back behind a brand new timber front fence with cast iron entrance gates imported from France
• A wonderful selection of intimate spaces within the garden to relax and soak up the atmosphere
• An abundance of space that easily caters for large social gatherings, weddings and parties
• Local Council Heritage listed (facade only) - listed on the Hawkesbury Historial walk
• Currently owner occupied as a family residence it has previously been utilized as professional rooms
2,586m² / 0.64 acres
4 off street parks
Do you want to find out more about this suburb? Enter your details to receive a free comprehensive suburb report.